Friday 15 October 2010

Form Needn't Always Follow Function

This is nice:


I like the way in which the wave form runs up and over. One could form a nice book lined passageway by continuing the shelves down to the floor in the same way. I'm sure that's been done already since it isn't often that anyone has a genuinely novel idea and I'm unlikely to be the first to have thought of doing so.

The picture reminds me of the bedroom in Berwick, which I painted Morris Green, from Fired Earth, a colour long since discontinued. Everything was Morris Green: walls, ceiling, doors, door frames, architrave, skirting, the pipes and radiators and the box sash frames, which had been stained a rather harsh reddish orange brown. I found, as I painted the room, that the woodstain was transformed into a very pleasant shade that went well with the dark green so I left the sashes and the battens that retained them.

I like dark, earthy colours and they work well when rooms are painted throughout in a monotonous monochrome scheme.

Gruff thanks to Design Milk for the photograph.

No comments: