Sunday 21 December 2008

Blue Moon

Three versions of a lovely song:

First Al Bowlly. Each generation thinks that it has discovered dance music, and that it alone is the hip generation, and it comes as something of a shock to realise that one's parents' sneers that one's favourite song was a hit in their day, and in their parents' day, are not without foundation. I've been looking for years for a copy of Al Bowlly singing 'You Couldn't Be Cuter', without success, but Lew Stone's recording of 'Blue Moon' offers an acceptable palliative:




Second, I've always loved Doo Wop and this is one of the best Doo Wop versions of 'Blue Moon' that I've heard:




Finally, I've never been an Elvis fan but he did record some nice songs and most of his early stuff was worth listening to again. This is one of his best, in my layman's opinion:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there,

I happened to stumble on your blog by accident (I don't have a blog here), and it breaks my heart that someone who's in need of Al Bowlly singing 'You couldn't be cuter' should have to live without it. So here you go:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xbr8fm

Enjoy. You have excellent taste!

William Gruff said...

Anonymous 21:00:

Now I know that there is a Father Christmas. Today is my fifty third birthday and I've just logged in after a very late breakfast and a long hot bath to find your comment. What joy. It must be at least thirty years since I've heard that song. Many, many thanks.