Wednesday 20 July 2011

Our New Bicycles

They're not actually new as in brand new but they are new to us. We've been without transport since the early part of the year and I've been looking for a couple of bicycles for the past two months or so. On Friday I was alerted to these:


Mine (actually fluorescent red, not orange)



Mrs Gruff's

Not at all what I would have chosen had I any money at all but at £25.00 each, and not 'knock off', not an opportunity to let pass, especially since, having paid for them on Monday, I discovered on Tuesday that in all probability I have lost my JSA and, with a single figure sum in the bank, am well and truly in deep shit, though worse things happen at sea, as they say at sea, and I've survived worse circumstances.

I've removed the ridiculous MTB mudguards which I will replace with something conventional, as also the handlebars, and my saddle, which is not at all comfortable.  Unfortunately both machines were delivered to me with flat or under inflated tyres so cannot be ridden until I can afford a pump.  Some metal polish and elbow grease should see the dull and rusting parts shiny and bright again and with a set of appropriate tools - some allen keys and the relevant special spanners - I can start putting both contraptions back into first class condition.

The Marin Web Site offers the Eldridge Grade for £1,099.00 and the Palisades Trail for £899.00, although they appear to be of an 'improved' specification. Unless ours are some embarrassing Far East copies that only an ignorant novice would be seen dead on I seem to have picked up a bargain, which has put a grin on my face.


Addendum: By chance I've discovered a link, with a photograph, claiming that both bikes date from 1992, which makes them almost vintage (according to the rules of the VMCC). Another web site claims the same date. I shall contact the manufacturer for confirmation and consider carefully whether to restore the machines or upgrade them as I had intended, as and when my finances allow. I'm not a devotee of the preservationist faith but I do think that if something beautiful and practical can be used in its original form there's no compelling reason to change it. Our bikes are not beautiful however; the colour schemes and applied decorations are appalling and the various fittings may be in need of replacement, in which case they are not worth preserving.

2 comments:

UBERMOUTH said...

I think they look nice. Great idea for transport too!

How is that allowed that JSA cuts you off? How bad is it getting over there now, Gruffy?

William Gruff said...

The bikes look awful.

I broke the JSA rules, though not deliberately. I've never liked the idea of being dependent upon the state and have been thinking of signing off for some time. I've had problems with the DWP before, which cost me more than they'd paid me, and my concern is that they may discover some pretext for making a nuisance of themselves.

The irony of it is that I was employed by the DWP for a while. I sat smiling while a flabby, inadequate if not actually retarded, authoritarian drone attempted vainly to confound and dominate me and, mindful that the swingeing cuts that will have to be made may well include him, wondered whether he was aware that he could soon be on my side of the table.